Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Have some cheese with your wine



My birthday was last week and my parents sent me a present through the mail. It arrived last Tuesday in a styrofoam cold box inside a regular shipping box. Opening the lid, I found four kinds of gourmet cheese. I love cheese. I like trying new things. I said to myself, what am I going to do with all this cheese? Wine goes well with cheese. However, wine and cheese by myself or just with my roommate although fun, didn't quite seem to be enough for the occasion. So what did I do, I did the modern equivalent of writing out invitations, addressing envelopes and sending them out; I sent an evite over facebook to my girlfriends.
I had a great time getting read for my party. Something about wine and cheese creates a feeling of sophistication. I am not all that sophisticated. So what do I do? I went to the dollar store to purchase clear plastic serving trays, little wine glasses, and tiny plates. I also got a plastic red table cloth and sesame street napkins. The smell of baking brownies greeted me when I got home. Pleased with my elegant plastic purchases, I showed them to my roommate. In turn, my roommate described to me her brownies that she made without flour. We set up our living room and went through all of our Cd's to find the five that carried an elegant air. We ended up with classical music, Sarah Brightman, and Frank Sinatra.
Finally our guests began to arrive, bringing wine, cheeses, crackers, and fruit. We ended up with six different types of cheeses including: French Gruyere, French sheep cheese (etorki), Canadian red leaf cheddar, Chocolate goat cheese from Wisconsin, no women Cajun cheese, and Havarti. There was a spinach artichoke dip to die for. In wines we had a French Bordeaux, Chardonnay, and pink truck Zinfandel. With our tiny plastic plates and put together wine glasses, we chatted and laughed. We discussed extensively the illusive flavors in wine that others seem to taste that we can never find. I had a great time. So next time I get fancy cheeses you just might get an invitation to share them with me and drink some wine.

1 comment:

  1. What fun. I'm glad you used the cheeses as a time for a party!

    ReplyDelete