Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Things that make my day better

I have had a rough couple of days. The kind of day that you sigh with relief when you can finally go to bed, hoping that the next day is better. In this frame of mind I began paying attention to simple things that made me smile or lifted my spirits. I'm not the only one who has down days so I figured I would list the things I noticed and some others that I thought of while thinking about writing this post. Don't be discouraged readers who are having a fantastic day, this post is for you as well. We can always use a little bit of cheer.

1. Watching a father and son throwing a baseball in the street.
2. Receiving an unexpected visit from good friends.
3. Getting your hair washed in a salon.
4. Bacon, bacon and more bacon.
5. Crocheting and watching movies with friends.
6. Trying new candy bars.
7. Being invited to a pajama party, you're never to old to have pillow fights with your friends.
8. A steamy hot bath, a glass of wine, and a good book.
9. Feeling deliciously sore after doing a type of exercise that you love like a good hike.
10. The perfect pen.
11. Unrestrained laugh of a child.
12. Reading a book you would never buy at Barnes and Noble. (I have an ongoing bookstore book that I read when I am between places and a B&N is nearby)
13. Watching a favorite movie for the nth time and quoting all the lines.
14. Trying on ridiculous shoes or crazy outfits just because you can.
15. Chocolate: eating, smelling, looking at, scarfing, savoring, thinking about, talking about....
16. Just the right comeback and just the right moment
17. Lying on your back and contemplating the heavens
18. Sunsets
19. A cuddly pet
20. Hot cup of tea

This list can go on and on, but I don't want to do all the work for you. What are some of your favorite simple pleasures?

3 comments:

  1. When I'm really down, God's promises help a lot. But at other times, things that lift my spirits are: a walk in the quiet woods or on a beach, seeing a beautiful bird up close, bein with my family, a crackling fire, a virgin white snow (I don't get to experience this very much), a sticky ooy-gooy desert (with chocolate), kids playing, and many many more things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my simple pleasures include:

    1.The sound of a cat's purr
    2.Thunderstorms
    3.Fresh melty cheese
    4.Giggling until it hurts
    5.Remembering good times with friends
    6.Painting
    7.Star Gazing
    8.Coffee :-D
    9.A story too good to put down (book), or turn off (movie or show)
    10.The feel of the sun on your skin.

    As you say the list could go on. Thanks for the reminder, and good timing coming off a hard couple days at work. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are excellent simple things. I'm all about thunderstorms and going for rambles.

    ReplyDelete